Funding your care Getting the support you need

If you are looking for care for yourself or a loved one, the cost and how to pay for the support that you need will be a significant part of your decision making process.
We understand that you will want to take some time to research your options so that you can make the right decision for you.

Are you eligible for social care funding?

Unlike NHS services, social care services are not automatically free for everyone. Unless an assessment of your financial circumstances shows that you cannot afford to pay for your own care, you will have to pay for some or all of your care.

The first step is to ask your local council for a Care Needs Assessment. This is free of charge to everyone regardless of financial circumstances, and they will go through with you in detail about the support you need both now and in the future. If the assessment shows that you need some support, then a Care Plan will be put together with you about what services you need to meet your individual needs.

Your local council can also carry out a financial assessment (also known as a means test) to check if you qualify for any help towards the cost of your care. Here is how that assessment might affect how you pay for your care:


England Savings and investments worth more than £23,250 You will pay the full cost of the services that you receive
Savings and investments more than £14,250 but less than £23,250 Your local council will assess what care you need and what you can afford to pay. They will then make a contribution towards the cost of your care with you paying the rest.
Less than £14,250 The local council will pay for your care. However, they will still take your eligible income into account.
Wales £24,000 Upper savings threshold for any local authority funding (care at home)
£50,000 Upper savings threshold for any local authority funding (care in a care home)


If you are paying for your own care, there are a number of ways that you can fund the cost such as from personal income, savings or investments, from an annuity.

You may find it beneficial to discuss your options with an Independent Care Fees Advisor. You can find more information about this as well as other useful advice about paying for your care on the Money Advice Service website.

Equity release

Equity release is the name given to a range of products aimed at people aged over 55 who want to access the money tied up in the value of their home but wish to continue to live there.

If you are considering Equity Release then speak to a qualified Equity Release Advisor registered with the Financial Conduct Authority. We work with various partners including 3Q Financial who offer free consultations on Equity Release and whether it is right for you.

How much does care cost?

Once you know what support you need and how you will pay for it, you can start looking at different services and providers and what they cost.

The cost of care can vary depending on a range of factors and your individual circumstances such as:

  • The type of care or support that you need
  • Where you receive your care
  • The number of hours’ care you require
  • What time of the day and week you need it (for example if you need care through the night or on weekends and Bank Holidays)
  • If you have a disability or complex medical problem, you might qualify for free NHS continuing healthcare.

Here at Radis Community Care, we offer a number of different services suitable for a range of needs across England and Wales.

Useful links

Please call our Care advice line on 0330 100 8150 so that we can talk to you about your needs and how we can best support you and your individual circumstances.


You might also like...